Resolution of Respect

Soft and safe to thee, Sir Knight be thy resting place!
Bright and glorious be thy rising from it when Jesus calls.
May the earliest buds of spring unfold their beauties or'thy bower
and there may the sweetness of summer's last rose long linger!

In Memory of Sir Knight IAN McLAURIN SHIPLEY, JR.
Who departed from our sight on 6 October 1996.

Once again a Sir Knight, having passed through the experience which mortals call death, beyond which he is continuing his progress toward New Jerusalem, to receive his reward, a white stone with a new name written thereon,

And Whereas, The all-wise and Merciful Master of the universe still guides his upward steps toward His throne of eternal glory,

And Whereas, He having been a true and faithful Sir Knight of our beloved order, therefor be it Resolved;

That Bayard Commandery No. 15, Knights Templar Roanoke, Virginia, through respect to his fidelity and integrity, that we tender to the family of our deceased Sir Knight our sincere condolences in their tribulations, and that a copy of this resolution be sent to the family.

Yet the destruction is not final, in the Springtime they shall bloom again.
So, on the bright sunny morning of the resurrection, thy spirit will spring
into the newness of life and expand in immortal beauty, in realms beyond the sky.


H. LEE ARRITT, Commander
PAUL L. PURDY, Recorder

Chesapeake police chief Shipley dies of heart attack while jogging -
Oct. 7, 1996

BY STEVE STONE, The Virginian-Pilot 
    Copyright 1996, Landmark Communications Inc.

    Ian M. Shipley Jr., who started as a
    police patrolman and rose through the ranks over three
    decades to become the city's chief in 1990, died Sunday
    night after suffering a heart attack.


    Shipley, who would have turned 56 in three weeks, was
    jogging in the Indian River section of the city near his
    home when he collapsed about 9 p.m. near Smith Street
    and Providence Road, police spokesman Elizabeth Jones said.

    Two citizens came to his aid, and a police officer who arrived a
    few moments later helped administer first aid until rescue crews
    arrived. Jones said Shipley was conscious at the time.

    He was taken to Chesapeake General Hospital, where he died at 9:25

    ``He was in good shape,'' said Councilman Peter P. Duda Jr.
    shortly after being advised of the chief's death. ``I couldn't
    believe it. I'm still in shock. I just couldn't believe it.''

    Shipley played golf at least three times a week and jogged

    He had planned -- but had not yet publicly announced -- to retire
    as chief on April 1.

    Mayor William E. Ward, who went to the hospital to comfort
    Shipley's family, called the chief a ``tremendous leader who
    modernized the Police Department.''

    Deputy Chief Richard Justice will take the helm until a new chief
    can be named.

    Dr. John M. deTriquet said that in the 2. years he has served on
    City Council, he had come to know Shipley as ``a great police
    officer'' and ``and a great man.''

    Shipley's lasting mark may be his efforts to raise the level of
    professionalism within the department, deTriquet said.

    ``He has really taken that word, service, to the people as the
    department's signature,'' deTriquet said. All members of the force
    have come to ``take it seriously, and I know that's something that
    Chief Shipley wanted.''

    Shipley's efforts appeared to have won the respect of residents.

    In an annual survey of citizens, ``the Police Department always
    got very high ratings,'' said Mark S. Cox, the city's director of
    public affairs. ``That's largely attributable to his efforts.
    People feel safe in this city.''

    A police officer for more than 35 years, Shipley had been working
    in administration for the past 15 years. But he never lost his
    affection or concern for the cop on the beat, colleagues said,
    having started there himself.

    A native of Boston, he joined the Chesapeake force in December
    1964. He quickly rose through the ranks and took over the top spot
    at the Police Department on May 1, 1990, after the retirement of
    former Chief Roland Lakoski.

    The transition was eased by their close working relationship.

    ``For 15 years, we had adjoining offices,'' said Shipley, who was
    deputy chief at the time. ``I've probably eaten as many meals with
    Chief Lakoski as I have with my wife in the last 15 years.''

    Former City Manager James W. Rein, who served from 1987 to 1995
    and appointed Shipley as chief, said it was one of the easiest
    decisions he made in his tenure.

    ``It was my pleasure to have the opportunity to move him up,''
    Rein said Sunday night. ``He was an outstanding candidate. His
    reputation and record with the city were just classic.''

    Rein said Shipley was the picture of a police chief.

    ``He was trim and looked better in a uniform than anyone you could
    imagine,'' he said. ``He had a command presence when he addressed
    anybody that made you respect him. If it sounds like I am
    describing George Washington. . . , well, he was excellent.''
    Rein said Shipley invigorated the department, instituting
    extensive training programs to improve the performance of officers
    at all levels. But he also was a good manager, Rein said, with a
    strong awareness of fiscal matters.

    ``He had a great loyalty among his men because he was such a hard
    worker,'' Rein said. ``It was nothing for him to be down in the
    department on a weekend; early in the morning; late at night.''

    On a personal level, ``It was a delight to be able to work with
    somebody who was so current on the things in his profession,''
    Rein said. ``He would bring me cutting-edge stuff.''

    Shipley was in charge of the smallest of Hampton Roads' police
    departments. Yet it also has one of the largest chunks of
    territory to serve -- about 353 square miles.

    Shipley made fighting drugs a priority when he began as chief.

    ``We intend to show those individuals involved in the use and
    distribution of drugs, it will not be tolerated in our city,'' he
    said in June 1991, after a major drug bust. 

    Sunday night, in Los Angeles for a meeting on transportation
    issues, City Councilman John W. Butt called Shipley ``a man of
    integrity'' whose ``death will be a great loss to the Police
    Department and the entire citizenry of Chesapeake.''

    Funeral arrangements were pending late Sunday. The Police
    Department plans to hold a news conference at 11 a.m. today.


NEWS - Oct. 8, 1996
     Chesapeake mourns loss of Police Chief Shipley 
     to heart attack

     BY JUNE ARNEY, The Virginian-Pilot 
     Copyright 1996, Landmark Communications Inc. 

     CHESAPEAKE -- A portrait of Police Chief Ian M. Shipley
     Jr., draped with black velvet, met visitors to police
     headquarters on Monday as the city's officers struggled
     with the loss of their leader.

     Outside, the department's flag flew at half-staff. A
     monument bearing the names of fallen officers wore a
     rain-soaked shroud of black cloth.

     Inside, the mood was subdued. The usual busy hallways
     seemed quieter. Officers wore black bands across their 
     badges to honor their fallen leader, and secretaries
     wore black ribbons. 

     They mourned Shipley, a 35-year veteran policeman who 
     started as a patrolman and rose through the ranks over 
     three decades to become chief in 1990.

     Shipley, 55, died at 9:25 p.m. Sunday after he 
     apparently suffered a heart attack while jogging within 
     a mile of his home.

     On Monday, it took three people to answer the phone calls
     from citizens and others.

     ``We're a little numb right now,'' said Deputy Chief Richard
     Justice, who is serving as acting chief.

     Shipley collapsed Sunday night near Smith Street and 
     Providence Road. It was a familiar route to the avid runner, 
     who logged between three and five miles most days.

     ``Everybody is in shock,'' said Detective Richard Black, a
     spokesman for Chesapeake police. ``It's just really hard to 
     grasp what's happened.''

     Shipley was known for his professionalism and his emphasis 
     on physical fitness. He brought work-out equipment to some 
     of the police precincts, for instance, Black said.

     Shipley took up jogging about 1976, competing in police-oriented
     races in Virginia, according to a fellow officer.

     Overall, Shipley's style was low-key, Black said. He didn't 
     like sensationalism.

     ``He stood behind his people,'' Black said. ``When he needed 
     to be out front, he was there. . . He was fair, honest, an 
     outstanding individual.''

     Black said it is unclear when a new chief will be named for 
     the department of 320 sworn officers. ``I think whoever takes 
     on that job realizes he has some big shoes to fill,'' he said.

     Capt. Don Zeagler, who works in the city's detective bureau, 
     said there was great significance to Shipley's final trip to 
     Chesapeake General Hospital Sunday night. Shipley had helped 
     raise money to make the hospital possible.

     Shipley, then a detective, did the background check on Zeagler
     when he was joining the Chesapeake force.

     ``He had a sense that he imparted to everyone who came in 
     contact with him, that a job worth doing is worth doing right,''
     Zeagler said.

     Shipley put police officers in the schools in the 1970s as a
     preventive measure before it became popular. 

     The news of Shipley's death hit especially hard for Frank
     Driscoll, former Chesapeake Republican city chairman. Hours
     earlier, he had shared lunch at Greenbrier Country Club with
     Shipley and his wife, Dixie.

     It had been an upbeat lunch with talk of golf and retirement and
     the Shipleys' weekend travels to the Eastern Shore and Lynchburg,
     Driscoll said. He and ``Ship'' made a golf date for Wednesday.

     ``He was going to come home and couch it and watch football,''
     Driscoll said. Shipley hadn't specifically mentioned running, but
     he didn't have to because everyone knew he did it -- religiously,
     Driscoll said.

     By 10 p.m., Driscoll received the news that his friend of 15 years
     was dead. 

     ``We're going to miss him,'' Driscoll said. ``He was honest and
     charitable and just. He was one of a rare breed who was able to
     strive, live and practice those moral values.''

     Shipley and his wife have two sons, Jim, a lieutenant with the
     Sheriff's Department, and John, a sergeant with the Sheriff's

     At the time of his death, Shipley was serving as grand senior
     warden at the Grand Lodge of Virginia in Richmond.